Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 1, 2009

And then there was the 18-wheeler............

Have you ever had a moment in your life that you think God is trying to tell you something? I'm sure we all have! Well I have decided that He wants Nick and I to find a new place to live! I never thought anything about it until we came so close to losing our home a couple weeks ago. Not even after somebody was hunting in the woods across the road from us and they shot through our home did I think this. (That's another story for another time!)

Anywhoo.....on December 10th I received a phone call from one of Nick's cousins asking me if I had heard about my house. Of course the first thing that went through my mind was that it was on fire. But she stopped me from panic and said no it's your yard. I said please tell me they didn't hit my house. You see, I live pretty close to the highway(a very busy highway) and my fear is that someone would come the opposite direction and slam their vehicle into my sons room because it's on the front corner of the house.

She said no but that he had hit everything else in my yard. Hitting everything in my yard is an understatement!

What you can't see in this picture is that the driver of this truck ran off the road at the beginning of our neighbors yard, jumped his driveway, then proceeded to tear up everything in our yard from start to finish. He took out four of our trees, 2 newly planted ones, most of the gravels in our driveway, and left HUGE ruts in the yard. He got so close to my home that he sprayed mud on the front of it!

Yes that's mud! The man driving the truck was not hurt thank goodness. He had just picked up a load of huge rolls of paper that weighed in the range of 41,000 pounds! His reason for this mess??? He reached over to get a piece of fruit and ran off the road. That's going to end up being a very expensive piece of fruit!

All this happend at about 10 o'clock that morning and this.........................

...............is the last time I remeber looking at the clock that night! I am pretty sure that at about 2 am they might have had everything out of our yard and maybe had the main highway re-opened.

And this is what it looked like after they got done and is still what it looks like today! Someday it will be fixed!


This picture just doesn't do my yard any justice! Do you know how much this will cost? If you add up everything....$19,500. Yes, you read that correctly! Can you believe it??

3 blessings:

a said...

Just thanking the Lord you all are ok!

Hope you have had a wonderful day today...

check my blog...I tagged you

Cheryl said...

I have been stopped there myself, due to an accident. You have a beautiful place but it could be kind of dangerous. You have done such a good job with the property. My friend lived there years ago and I would spend the night with her. It does not even look like the same place! Beautiful......

Deedra said...

I thank the Lord that you weren't home when it happened! I can't imagine what a ruckus it sounded like and how terrifying it would be!! I still cringe and say a prayer of thanks every single time I pass your house and see the mess that made of your yard!

Happy New Year!